Monday, June 6, 2011

El Paso International Airport Exhibit

Finally set up five sculptures at the airport for the " Art Windows of El Paso "exhibit at the airport. People were crowded around the display, looking at all the details. I made each piece very intricate. The dancer is dramatic and has bright red accents and elaborate feathered headdress.Tiny eyelashes, small medals, silver rings and other embellishments make each sculpture unique. The Storyteller has a bowl with shards of pottery, obsidian arrowhead, even a fossilized seashell from the desert. I thought that this would be a great opportunity to tell a story with each piece. I think I succeeded. As I was leaving the window, I overheard two women talking about how the old Indian was really telling "big" stories and thus his secretive smile and glinting eyes.
The opening reception is June 30th and I have to speak to the audience. I guess I better think about what would be appropriate and relevant to the Art community in Southwest Texas.

No comments: